ILSR is seeking a Research Associate for our Community-Scaled Economy Initiative. This is a full-time position based in our Portland, Maine, office.
The Research Associate will carry out research and writing assignments, and provide communication and administrative support, to enable the initiative to further its goal of bringing about a more just and sustainable economy in which power is decentralized, capital is rooted in communities, and locally owned businesses are a thriving share of the market.
- Conduct research and produce qualitative and quantitative analysis on a range of issues related to the Initiative’s goal.
- Write compelling articles, fact sheets, and policy briefs.
- Provide communications support for the Initiative, including managing a monthly newsletter and helping to prepare media releases and pitches.
- Monitor news and legislative developments on key issues.
- Provide administrative support to the Initiative and to ILSR’s Development Director, including updating online files, researching fund-raising prospects, scheduling meetings, and responding to requests for information.
Key Qualifications & Skills:
- 3+ years experience in social change, policy, or journalism fields. Or 1+ years of experience combined with a relevant advanced degree.
- Exceptional research skills: ability to identify the pivotal questions, sharp analysis of the issues.
- Excellent written communications skills, including the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling way.
- Knowledge of the political and legislative process.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time.
- Computer and web savvy. Proficiency in WordPress and Mailchimp a plus.
ILSR provides a competitive compensation package, including health insurance, paid vacation, and a retirement plan.
The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is a 40-year-old national nonprofit organization that challenges concentrated corporate power and provides research and policy models to enable communities to take charge of their local economies and build a more equitable and environmentally sound future. ILSR has a staff of 12 with offices in Minneapolis; Portland, Maine; and Washington, DC.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and two writing samples reflecting your original work to email@example.com. The subject line should read “Research Associate Application.” No phone calls, please.